To successfully manage Rollbar across an organization, a process is needed to automatically provision, and configure Rollbar for all applications.
By centralizing this process, your organization can help teams to:
- Ensure Rollbar is implemented in all new applications
- Meet organization data security goals
- Meet organization error response best-practices goals
There are 3 steps to configuring Rollbar for a new application.
- Create the Rollbar Project for the application.
- Configure and instantiate Rollbar in the application source code.
- Complete configuration and verification in the CI/CD process
These steps can be easily automated.
Auto-provision Rollbar projects using the Rollbar Terraform Provider or the Rollbar REST API
For each language that your organization develops create a wrapper class to wrap the Rollbar SDK. This controls direct access to the Rollbar SDK, and ensures that all your team configure Rollbar according to your organizations' requirements.
- Include this wrapper in a core library that is included in all applications
- Include Rollbar in your organizations' new application templates.
- Regularly update to the latest Rollbar SDK version
See also the Rollbar Create Item API .
Your organization may have particular data security requirements. For example
- Denying configuration of certain SDK settings
- Requiring configuration of certain SDK settings
- Implementing extra data scrubbing, including regex matching
- Adding extra data to the payload as required by your organization
- Including a mechanism receive a notification if teams are inadvertently attempting to send inappropriate data in the payload.
All Rollbar language SDKs have similar functionality. See the relevant SDK documentation.
Generate dynamic settings that change for every release during the build or deployment, including:
- Environment - code_version - Custom data fields as required by your organization e.g cluster_id, container_id etc.
Verify that teams are implementing Rollbar according to your organizations' requirements by including verification steps in the CI/CD process. For example:
- Unit Tests
- Static Code Analysis Tests
- Include your Application Security and Data Security teams in the process
- Update the Rollbar SDK to the latest available version for your language/framework
- Train end users of Rollbar and application error best-practices for your organization
- Automate as much as possible of the Rollbar setup process for new applications, including instantiation of Rollbar at application start-up if possible
- Review the process regularly to ensure it still meets your organizations requirements
Updated about 1 month ago